The 2012-2013 season gets underway for Tulsa basketball on November 11 in Tulsa against LSU-Shreveport. From game one, the Golden Hurricane will attempt to prove that they can perform as well as last season's team. They lose 70% of last season's minutes and will look to replace it with the output of seven incoming freshmen.
Tulsa will experience their biggest drop-off on defense, as the team lost 88.1% of their shot blocking. That's followed by rebounding, where they drop another massive 81.9% from last season.
Tulsa finished last year with an overall record of 17-13, placing 3rd in the C-USA with their 10-6 conference record. The Golden Hurricane lost to Marshall 105-100 in the C-USA tournament. Tulsa lost last year's seniors Steven Idlet (24 minutes per game), D.J. Magley (22 MPG), Joe Richard (16 MPG), and Will Sanger (0 MPG). The Golden Hurricane will also have to live without several players, including Jordan Clarkson (transferred to Missouri), Eric McClellan (transferred to Vanderbilt), Kodi Maduka (22 MPG), Donte Medder (6 MPG), and David Wishon (transferred to College of Charleston).
The Golden Hurricane return senior Scottie Haralson (11.1 points/game), junior Tim Peete (2.2 assists/game), sophomore Rashad Smith (0.8 points/game), and senior Jamie Booker (0.2 points/game).
The Golden Hurricane get new blood including freshmen 6-7 Brandon Swannegan, 5-11 Rashad Ray, 6-4 James Woodard, 6-3 Shaquille Harrison, 6-7 Zeldric King, and 6-1 Nick Wood. Other players joining the team include 6-7 senior Kauri Black (transferred from Northeastern) and 6-3 junior Patrick Swilling Jr. (transferred from St. Joseph's (PA)).
The Golden Hurricane schedule includes three games against AP preseason Top 25 teams, at #16 Creighton on December 19th, at #25 Florida State on December 29th, and at #17 Memphis on February 2nd. Tulsa will begin their C-USA campaign on January 6th at Southern Methodist.
Tags: Steven Idlet
- Since 2002, Tulsa has an overall winning percentage of 56.0%. The Golden Hurricane have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 63.0%.
- The Golden Hurricane have an average conference finish of 3.6 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 3.8.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 143.8.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Florida State (#12).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Jackson State (#322).
- The last time Tulsa returned less than 25% of the team's statistical production was 1996-1997.
, D.J. Magley
, Joe Richard
, Will Sanger
, Jordan Clarkson
, Eric McClellan
, Kodi Maduka
, Donte Medder
, David Wishon
, Scottie Haralson
, Tim Peete
, Rashad Smith
, Jamie Booker
, Brandon Swannegan
, Rashad Ray
, James Woodard
, Shaquille Harrison
, Zeldric King
, Nick Wood
, D`Andre Wright
, Kauri Black
, Patrick Swilling Jr.